Monday, July 28, 2008

New Orleans, Take 2

Our second spike in New Orleans has proven to be a totally unique experience. I have been having a great time getting to know the new members of the team. I have found myself going out more than ever before - Café du Monde, exploring the French Quarter, and going to the movies. Our quick team bonding is a positive side effect of our cramped housing, as everyone on our team takes any opportunity to get out of the house for a while.

I have been going out to the levee almost every day, taking in the beautiful view of downtown from across the Mississippi, as the tug boats pushing the huge barges slowly go by in the foreground. Unfortunately this view has been changed dramatically since 419,000 gallons of oil were spilt into the river last week. Now, the banks are black, and instead of seeing beautiful white herons on the shore and fish jumping out of the water all I see are workers in hazmat suits trying to clean up this gigantic mess.

The work that I have been doing this round is also completely different from last round in New Orleans. A number of us have been working in a summer camp in the lower 9th ward for the past few weeks. We are working with 15 to 25 4-9 year olds. I have never worked with kids before and I could not believe how quickly I became attached to them. At times they have been really hard to handle, and it has definitely been the most exhausting work that I have done yet in AmeriCorps, but we have all been thoroughly enjoying it.

I love how easy it can be to please a little kid, twirl them around a few times, let them jump on your back, let them play with your hair, or eat their play-doh sandwich. It isn’t always that easy though; we find ourselves retreating to our “safe zone” of the kitchen where the kids aren’t allowed. I may or may not have found myself in there sitting in the corner hiding… just kidding, not that the thought didn’t cross my mind! :)


In the photo: I'm slicing watermelon for snack, while Kayla recuperates from playtime.

~ Katie

No comments:

 
Brought to you by AmeriCorps NCCC, a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Website powered by Blogger.