Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Week at a Glance

Our days with AmeriCorps are almost over! It's about that time that nobody can call home anymore without parents asking "So when are you gonna get a real job?" Well, most nights we have got teammates browsing colleges, filling out job applications, and studying for the GREs. I'm sure that in our own ways of measuring success, we'll all be extremely successful after AmeriCorps.


We are all just loving St. Bernard Project! Most of us are supervising volunteers and it's really exciting to be experienced enough in construction to lead others. I met the woman whose house I'm building today and she brought Gatorade for all my volunteers. She's such a nice person that I feel extra inspired to get her house done.

The Church of the Brethren invited us over for tacos on Tuesday and extended the invitation to every Tuesday we're in town. The culture and atmosphere there was so welcoming and relaxing - we had a great time.

Kate, Katie, and I run on "Bayou Rd." We're always guaranteed plenty of wildlife - snakes, armadillos, egrets and turtles. Dogs are also plentiful around here. Katie also claims to see all kinds of nutria just everywhere, but I'm starting to doubt her.

Kate, Katie, Amanda and Maria went on a swamp tour Sunday. They fed alligators marshmallows and said it was a lot of fun.

You might not believe it but it's starting to cool down a little in Louisiana.

~Stacy

2 comments:

staci said...

I am just sitting here at work and for some reason found myself on your blog as I nostalgically thought about my NCCC days. 10 years ago this month I became part of the NCCC Central Region Campus - Class 5. I couldn't stay away so I did a 2nd year of VISTA in Omaha, NE and then a 3rd year as an NCCC team leader back in Denver. It is great that you guys are doing this work. When you leave you will become part of those of us who had to go back to the real world and find ourselves back in the thick of society. It was a hard adjustment. Keep up all the good work--you can find NCCC in your every day life. It just isn't as easy. Take care, Staci-Denver Class 5 (Earth 2) and Class 7 (Water 2). Do you guys know Kevin Rumery???!!

Unknown said...

you done a great job, friends. keep going on...
==============================
allen

Multi List Service

 
Brought to you by AmeriCorps NCCC, a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Website powered by Blogger.