Monday, November 17, 2008

The Certain Things in Life

When I came to AmeriCorps NCCC I was unsure as to what I wanted to do with my life. Now, with a mere week left in AmreriCorps I am still plagued with this same uncertainty. My mind is constantly buzzing with the same questions – What do I want to go to grad school for? Where do I want to go? Do I even want to go to grad school?

However, I accept this uncertainty because the last ten months in AmeriCorps has made me certain of other things. I am certain that there is nothing better I could have done with this last year of my life. Our last week in New Orleans we got to see Wanda and her family living in the house we framed and wrenched back together during 2nd round. Never before have I really felt like I have made a difference in someone’s life.

I am certain that there exists in my peers the intelligence and motivation to get through the turbulence our generation will face. My fellow Corps members have given me confidence in our generation, that the economic and environmental battles ahead will be no match for this force of change that I have seen all around me. I am certain that service to others is the most important thing in life. This year has shown me an America full of diversity and unnecessary hardship, everywhere around us there are people in need, and every single individual has the power to help. I am certain that everyday of my life from here on will be enriched by this AmeriCorps experience, by my new knowledge ranging from teamwork to dry walling, by my newly found confidence, and by my new family members – the Earth Oneders.

Even though I don’t walk away from AmeriCorps knowing exactly where my next step will land, I know that as I stand right now I stand more strongly, confidently and happily than I have ever stood before. With this sturdy footing I know that my next step can be wherever I want it to be.

~ Katie

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting that. I can't wait to join

Brianna Shelton said...

That last paragraph is among the most powerful and inspirational things I have ever read.

Yvonne said...

You made my day with this post. My team came in after you all and finished the house for Curtis and Wanda. We were sad that we didn't get a chance to see them move in, but we knew that the work we all did was amazing. How I miss working on that house. I love the picture, because it just took me back to when we were there. Thanks for taking me back:)

pleasehearme said...

That was quite inspirational. I too, am in the search for what I want to do with my life. That is why I applied to Americorp and will be starting in Maryland this winter. I cannot wait! But I was happiest to read that you still don't know exactly where your next step will land. It has made me realize that even if, after 10 months with Americorp NCCC, I don't know where I'll be heading, it's alright and the point of the program is to do good for others. That is already my life goal.

I'm sure you will figure out all you need to know and will continue to do great things. Thanks for the inspiration. Peace&Love, always.

Unknown said...

This is the first time I see this blog and I'm glad I did. I'm finishing my BA in May and I'm unsure & so confused of what to do next. I was going to grad school for my MSW but I realize now that going right away is not the right step for me. Reading this and watching what you said on the last video, I know that this could be my next step (joining NCCC). Thanx! :)

 
Brought to you by AmeriCorps NCCC, a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Website powered by Blogger.